Weekly Spelling Words
Spelling and Vocabulary List for November 5-16
- advantage - (n) something that puts someone in a better position; a benefit; you have the edge over
The advantage of sitting up front is being able to see the movie better.
- ambition - (n) a strong desire for importance or success; a goal
My ambition is to be an excellent artist.
- defiant - (adj) showing strong resistance; willing to challenge or confront; disobedient
The defiant team member refused to listen to the coach.
- fearsome - (adj) frightening or alarming; scary
That horror movie was quite fearsome.
- imply - (v) to suggest something without saying it directly; to hint
Their kind remarks imply that they want me to join in.
- merit - (n) an excellent achievement, honor, value or quality that is deserving of approval
Jill earned an award of merit for never missing a day of school in twelve years
(v) deserve or be worthy of (something, especially reward, punishment, or attention)
We merit good grades for our hard work.
- negotiate - (v) to discuss in order to arrive at an agreement; discuss; debate
Professional athletes usually have agents who negotiate their contracts.
- purify - (v) to make clean and free of dirt or pollutants; to clean
We need to purify the dirty water so we can drink it.
- revoke - (v) to cancel by withdrawing or reversing; to cancel or repeal
The judge decided to revoke his license.
- wretched - (adj) very unhappy or unfortunate, miserable; very poor in quality; miserable
We felt wretched about the terrible accident.
- factor - (n) numbers we can multiply together to get another number; a whole number that
divides exactly into another number
The factors of 15 are 1, 3, 5, and 15.
- multiple - (n) a number made by multiplying two whole numbers larger than one; the answer you
get when you multiply a number by others
The multiples of 15 are 15, 30, 45, 60, and so on. I multiplied 15 by one, then two, then three, etc.
- product - (n) the answer you get when you multiply two or more numbers together
The product of 89 x 25 is 2,225.
- prime number - (n) a number that is not evenly divided by any other number except one and itself
The numbers 7, 11, and 31 are examples of prime numbers. The factors of 7 are one and
seven. The factors of 11 are one and eleven. The factors of 31 are one and thirty-one.
- composite number – (n) a number that can be evenly divided by numbers other than one and itself
Twenty-four is a composite number since it can be divided by 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 12, and also
one and itself.