Our School » History


Roebuck is a community rich in history. Roebuck was settled by farming families and began as a stagecoach stop around 1790. Smith’s Tavern offered overnight lodging, food, and drinks for travelers. Nearby historical Walnut Grove Plantation was built in 1765 by Charles and Mary Moore on a 3,000 acre land grant from King George III. United by joint efforts during planting and harvest, the families established Bethlehem Church in 1800. The railroad soon followed, developing a community and depot called Becca. Around 1916 the name was changed to Roebuck, honoring Revolutionary War hero Captain Benjamin Roebuck. Industry followed in 1903 with Roebuck Gin and Lumber Company. Bobo and Company Store, established in 1905, is one of the few large general stores of the old time variety still in existence. Peaches and cotton were the prime crops through the 1950’s.

Today, Roebuck is a rapidly growing community. Over 50 various businesses are located here. Roebuck has experienced major growth just within the last few years. Dorman High School, with a separate freshman campus is located one mile from Roebuck Elementary right off of I-26. Even as Dorman was being built, new home subdivisions began springing up in surrounding areas of Roebuck. A larger up-to-date fire department was built in 2004. Roebuck lacks a downtown, but it does have a post office and general store. The Roebuck Improvement Association, which was organized in 1947 as a co-op for farmers to process crops, is the uniting and supportive force for this growing community.

Roebuck Intermediate School, erected in the late 1940’s to accommodate approximately 250 students, provided for the education of kindergarten, fourth, and fifth graders. The intermediate school was located behind the Roebuck High School. One mile away, Roebuck Primary School, housed grades one, two, and three. The Roebuck area grew so rapidly that Roebuck Intermediate and Roebuck High School were torn down to make way for a new facility, Roebuck Elementary, dedicated in October of 1992. This new building was erected to educate approximately 850 students in kindergarten through fifth grade, and the cost was $5.6 million, $2 million dollars under the estimated budget.